Ticks are particularly bothersome pests because they can affect all members of your family, including children and pets. These pests are often found in properties near wooded areas and most of them require some moisture and humidity to survive. Their primary diet consists of blood and that is often drawn from animals and sometimes even humans. Pets are more susceptible to ticks and bites from them than humans are. These pests can settle on your pet’s skin and become attached. Ticks can also bite humans and cause health problems in the long run. At Knock-Down Pest Control, we recommend our clients to call us immediately if they notice any signs of ticks.
What are the common signs of ticks?
Tick infestations are usually difficult to spot but these pests make their presence known. Some ticks do bite humans if they’re in close proximity so if you notice unexplained marks or irritations on your skin, you might be dealing with a tick infestation. These creatures are quite visible when they’re out in the open and well-fed. They look like small melon seeds and are red or brown in colour. However, they tend to move quickly and will jump on your body before you even notice their presence in your vicinity.
What do you need to know about them?
- A female tick can lay between 2,000-18,000 eggs in her lifetime and most of these eggs will survive.
- Finding the eggs isn’t easy because ticks can lay it in any part of your property. They prefer cracks and damp corners. The eggs are also very small so it’s not easy to spot them during the search.
- It’s not easy to detect bites because the ticks will deliver a numbing agent along with the bite. However, if you suspect you’ve been bitten, visit a doctor immediately. Tick bites can cause Lyme disease and the effects can linger for months.
How do we deal with ticks?
Killing ticks after they’ve entered your property is more difficult than keeping them out. When they’re in your property, you need to make sure they’re not on your body, or on the bodies of your family members and pets. Ticks attached to the body and feeding are very difficult to remove. You need to use tweezers to carefully detach the tick from your flesh and ensure they’re not crushed in the process.
- Cleaning – If the ticks aren’t on your person, you can easily remove them by vacuuming the area where the ticks are. Our experts will comb through your property to find pockets of infestation and breeding sites and vacuum the entire area thoroughly. We’ll also dispose the ticks in the vacuum bag responsibly to ensure the problem doesn’t spread elsewhere.
- Insecticides – After cleaning the areas of infestation, we will apply an effective insecticide to ensure all lingering ticks and their eggs are eliminated from your property. This insecticide lingers in the corners and floors so it actively prevents future infestations.
- Prevention – We’ll also explain the best prevention methods to ensure the ticks don’t enter your property in the first place.
If you want to know more about our pest control services, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us at Knock-Down Pest Control today! You can reach us through our contact us form or call 1300 262 463 and we’ll be happy to assist you.