Fruit flies are tiny insects that seem to come with fresh produce and tend to reproduce very quickly. That’s one of the reasons why they’re very difficult to get rid of. If you store the fruits and fresh produce in the open and don’t refrigerate them, you’re more likely to get an infestation. These flies can easily lay up to 500 eggs at a time, which is why you see an infestation get out of hand quickly.
The fruit fly’s entire lifecycle takes 8 to 10 days to complete and once they reach adulthood, they’re nearly unstoppable. At Knock-Down Pest Control Sydney, we have experienced that the best way to counteract a fruit fly infestation is to interrupt the lifecycle and ensure the eggs don’t hatch or the larvae don’t reach adulthood.
What are the signs of infestations?
You can easily spot the signs of infestation if you’re vigilant enough. Here are some things you need to keep an eye out for:
- Flies hovering around trash cans and places with decaying fruit. These flies are attracted to fermenting or ripening fruit so they’re more likely to infest your home if you leave the trashcan open or leave the ripening fruits sit out in the open.
- Larvae crawling around in your kitchen area are also a sign of an infestation. Inspect corners and places where you store your fresh produce carefully and look for these tiny larvae. They look like cockroaches or small rodent droppings so they’re easy to miss. You’ll see a pair of distinctive horns on them, which is a clear indication that the small black or brown spots are larvae instead of droppings.
- You will also find these flies and larvae near beer or liquor bottles because they also contain fermented food ingredients. Look at the beer storage area carefully as well.
You can also take preventive measures to ensure the flies don’t enter your property in the first place. Clean all fresh produce and store as many as you can in the refrigerator. Make sure all garbage can are sealed shut when not in use.
How do we help?
We understand how these flies work and behave. We know their infestation strategy and have developed ways to counteract it effectively. Here’s what we do:
- Inspect – Our first step is to inspect the area for flies and try to identify their primary breeding grounds. As mentioned before, the best way to handle these pests is to interrupt their lifecycle and destroying their breeding ground is the best way to do that.
- Discard – Once we’ve identified the fruits and produce with the biggest concentration of flies, we’ll carefully seal them in disposal bags and throw them away. This allows us to prevent future infestations.
- Clean and treat the area – Before you restock your produce and food items, we clean the area and chemically treat it to ensure there are no lingering traces of fruit fly eggs and larvae. If we don’t thoroughly clean and remove these pests, they can infest any fresh food you bring in and cause problems.
If you want to know more about our pest control services, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us at Knock-Down Pest Control today! You can reach us through our contact us form or call 1300 262 463 and we’ll be happy to assist you.