If you’re fond of books and maintain a library in your home, you might be familiar with booklice. These pests are usually found in books and old papers. These lice don’t consume book material, but rather eat any microscopic spores of mould present in the books. That’s one of the reasons why you’ll always find booklice and mould in the same location. At Knock-Down Pest Control Sydney, we understand to treat these lice and can also provide solutions to handle mould.
What you need to know about booklice
Booklice are generally harmless pests and you can easily ignore small infestations if you don’t want to address the problem immediately. However, these insects can become a nuisance if left unchecked. Here’s what you need to know about them:
- They need high levels of moisture to thrive and won’t survive if the moisture levels are low.
- They need the presence of mould because that’s their primary source of food. They also tend to feed on starch present in book bindings.
- They’ll infest any area that has mould so if you have mould on books, furniture, cereals, grains, and other such household items, you can expect a booklice infestation.
- Based on the temperature and humidity of the surrounding environment, booklice can take anywhere between 1 month to 3 month to hatch and grow into adulthood.
- While booklice in small numbers aren’t harmful, they can reproduce quickly. That can lead to them infesting your stored food items and contaminating them.
How do we deal with booklice?
There are several over-the-counter solutions available in the market but none of them provide and effective and permanent solution to booklice infestations. Here’s how we approach the problem:
- Inspection – Our first step is to inspect the areas of booklice infestation carefully. We need to look at the condition of the area to determine the lice have infested it. Our goal is to look for causes of excessive moisture and mould.
- Elimination methods – While insecticides and other such solutions can eliminate some of the booklice infesting your home, you’ll still need more concrete solutions to handle the problem. We’ll first eliminate the existing infestation with effective and safe insecticides. After that, we’ll provide a more permanent solution.
- Preventing future infestations – The only way to stop the infestation entirely and to prevent future infestations is to eliminate excessive moisture. If you don’t remove the source of moisture, the mould will keep coming back and that will keep attracting booklice. If the moisture content is 14% and above, you can expect booklice in your grains, books, and other items. Our experts will offer solutions that will help reduce this moisture and keep both mould and booklice away.
Tips to prevent booklice
Aside from the solutions provided by our experts, you can take some steps to reduce the problem yourself. These steps include:
- Adding fans and dehumidifiers in areas of excessive moisture.
- Making sure bathrooms and kitchens have good ventilation.
- Storing books in open and dry areas so they don’t retain moisture.
If you want to know more about our pest control services, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us at Knock-Down Pest Control today! You can reach us through our contact us form or call 1300 262 463 and we’ll be happy to assist you.