Carpet beetles are a big nuisance, especially if you have expensive carpets and clothing made from natural animal-origin materials. These beetles feed on a protein called keratin and are known to cause considerable damage in a short amount of time. Carpet beetles are mostly found inland and in the regions away from the coast line where the environment is a little drier. At Knock-Down Pest Control, we have experience in eliminating carpet beetles and know exactly how to remove them effectively. If you suspect you have a carpet beetle infestation, don’t hesitate to give us a call.
What are the signs?
Carpet beetles will only be found in places with organic matter and materials that contain keratin. You’ll find them in carpets, cabinets, fabrics, real flowers, and dark places. Here are some signs you need to look out for:
- Look for shed skin and faecal matter on your carpets or clothes.
- These beetles are visible. They’re oval in shape and are slightly larger than a pinhead. You’ll see black and brown or grey patterns on their back.
- The beetles move very slowly and if you touch them with a stick, they’ll roll over and play dead.
- Their larvae have a brown band around their body and tiny hair-like extensions on both ends.
- Carpet beetles can also be attracted to dog food, paint brushes, and other such items.
These creatures are usually easy to control if you have time to vacuum your carpets daily. A strong vacuum will extract most the beetles, eggs, and larvae from the carpet. However, this isn’t entirely successful and can sometimes leave behind some eggs and larvae. If you have a severe infestation, you should call a professional to handle the job.
What can we do to help?
Beetles can cause extensive amounts of damage, especially to expensive wool rugs and carpets. We always aim to eliminate these pests without causing any damage to the carpet or other materials. Here’s how we approach the pest control:
- Cleaning with heat – If vacuuming doesn’t work, we will clean the carpets with heat and steam. These bugs are sensitive to heat and will die from the exposure. Heat will also clean and sanitise your carpet so you’re essentially killing two birds with one stone. We make sure the temperature of the steam is controlled and monitored during the process. We don’t want to damage the integrity of the carpets while we clean them.
- Discarding garments – If the carpet bugs have caused too much damage to clothing and destroyed the structural integrity of the carpets, you need to discard these items. Some people pack the items and store them in the garage. That only provides a more hospitable environment to the pests and increases the chances of future infestations.
- Chemical treatments – Chemical treatments are effective against pockets of intense infestations. We use chemical agents that kill carpet beetles without causing any harm to the fabric. We’ll apply it carefully to areas that eggs and larvae to stop future infestations as well.
If you want to know more about our pest control services, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us at Knock-Down Pest Control today! You can reach us through our contact us form or call 1300 262 463 and we’ll be happy to assist you.